Uncle Zeke's Top 20 o' 2013: #12- CITY AND COLOUR: "The Hurry and the Harm"


#12- CITY AND COLOUR: "The Hurry and the Harm"


Thank heavens I was able to post the album title down below... in bold and readable print. The title as listed in the title line almost looks like "The Hurry and the Ham", although that would also be a great title for the album. 

::clears throat::

"The Hurry and the Harm" is the fourth studio album from Dallas Green (Get it? City and Colour?), the former guitarist and vocalist from Post-Hardcore band, ALEXISONFIRE. Speaking of which, who decided to name that band? At least in the one word format that they were named. I don't know if I should say Alex Is On Fire or Alexis On Fire. I have a friend named Alexis, and I would hate to imagine her on fire... unless, of course, that's her thing, then I would most definitely not stand in the way... especially because "on fire" is the LAST place I'd like to be.  

::clears throat.... again::

With this album, Dallas Green continues down the same path that he started down with his 2005's "Sometimes". Fortunately for him, he now can focus all his attention on this project, instead of doing it behind his (former) band's back, attempting to juggle two projects without his main (former) band members finding out. If anything, this album shows Green continuing to mature, both lyrically and musically.  Dallas has never been hurting for extremely personal, thought provoking lyrics, so the maturity of which I spoke is definitely more evident in the music and the more polished production, which has become more evident on each album.

What you have with City and Colour is a glimpse into the world of Dallas Green, as if it were sung by an angel. His voice is... well... distinct and beautiful. I could listen to it all day long. I'd say all night long, too, but that would just sound gay... not that there is anything wrong with that.

Here... watch this... you'll see exactly what I'm talking about.

"Harder Than Stone"


...and now for the (slightly) harder side of City and Colour:

"The Lonely Life"


...and even harder:

"Thirst" (Official Video)


...but nothing resonates in my soul like the acoustic side of City and Colour:

"Thirst" (Acoustic)


Comments