Video killed the radio star...

...and I ask, WHY??? I was just listening to a live CD from a great rock band, Toto. Yeah, yeah... there are those of you who only know Toto from their softer radio hits, such as Africa. Although I really get a guilty pleasure out of that song, you need to dive deeper. Hear some of the more progressive, jazz influenced music that these guys have to offer. Steve Lukather is one of the greatest rock guitarists I have ever heard, and you very rarely hear anything about him. It was inspiring to watch the Live In Amsterdam DVD, and see a large audience comprised of people my age, as well as many younger people. The best part, was seeing that younger audience singing every word to every song. It renewed my faith in the younger generation, and their music. Here in the USA, it all seems to be tied in to trends. Either what one's friends are listening to, or what the radio is telling them to listen to. Fortunately, when most kids get into college, they venture into different musical paths. Although it seems that so many of those in their late teens and early twenties all seem to listen to the same "indie" artists. Back when I was young, music was judges more on talent, and less on looks. Yeah, the image was important (I think of Kiss, Alice Cooper, Bowie, to name a few), but there was substance. The first band I fell in love with, was Cheap Trick. This band of misfits from the upper midwest United States had melody, great production, talent, and even a quirky image. So many of the bands from that era were not much to look at, but great to listen to. As soon as MTV hit the airwaves, the prophetic message from the first video they played, came true. THE BUGGLES' "Video Killed The Radio Star". Yes, bands like Toto continued to have success, but the more people got sucked into the image controlled world of music, the less they paid attention to those bands with true talent. Now I am not going to knock Duran Duran. I have thoroughly enjoyed music from DD over the years. Those guys not only played their own music, but they WROTE their own music. Fast forward to the 1990s, and the rise of boy bands and Hip-Hop. It seems that this was the derailing of the music train. Groups like Spice Girls, etc., were created based almost entirely by the image of the entertainer, and NOT their talent. Sure, they needed to carry a pitch. Sure, they needed to dance. But where is the true musician in these people? Nowhere. Anyhow, sorry to get on the old soapbox. I'll gladly kick it out from under myself, and shut up for now. Just do me a favor. Go find a musical artist that is completely original. Something you have never heard of. Let's support the little guy. That undiscovered artist. Thanks for listening.

Comments