POST #49: Another GEE-WHIZ nugget...



----------------
Now playing:
Gil Scott-Heron - Lady Day And John Coltrane
via FoxyTunes
I know, I know. Apparently my count was off with the posts. I was just logging in, and the dashboard stated that I had 49 posts. That would mean that this is number 50! How 'bout them apples?? Anyhow, I have had another tidbit for your "gee whiz file" that has been on my mind for the past few days. This week I unearthed an old CD-R of the album by MARTINI RANCH. Now, Martini Ranch had a couple of minor "Modern Music" hits back in the late 80's. Modern Music was the title that was given to New Wave music AFTER it didn't sound so "new". It was the transitional name for what would become Alternative music. Anyhow, Martini Ranch did a couple of music videos which I would recommend you look up on youtube.com. The songs were titled "REACH", featuring an epic video (8 minutes in length) that was directed by James Cameron. Yes, THAT James Cameron. You will even see several cameo appearances by Hollywood celebrities. It's actually more difficult to spot the celebrities in "Reach", but if you go to the video of "How Can the Labouring Man Find Time For Subculture", you will see cameos by Judge Reinhold (remember folks, this was the 80's... everyone knew Judge Reinhold back in those days), as well as Anthony Michael Hall, best known as "the Geek" from 16 Candles, as well as the wienie boyfriend from Edward Scissorhands. Anyhow, in case you haven't taken time out already, to see these videos, you will also notice that one of the leading men in the videos is America's favorite polygamist. I'm not talking about Warren Jeffs... I'm talking about BILL PAXTON! Yes, THAT Bill Paxton. He was actually half of the 80's Modern Pop duo, MARTINI RANCH. Now, if you browse the liner notes, you will actually see that Bill was really only 20%... maybe only 10% of Martini Ranch. There were only two guys, but Bill didn't play any instruments, and he didn't do lead vocals... more like occasional screaming. For example, "Reach". He mostly just screams (can you guess?) REACH! Well, reach, and a few other things. But watch the video, and you will see what I mean. And then watch "How Can The Labouring Man...", and you will once again see what I mean. BUT, with all that, the music is still good. There were three members of Devo who either appeared on the album, or produced some of the tracks. "How Can the Labouring Man..." sounds a lot like Devo. You have Mark Mothersbaugh on guitar, the song was produced Mr. Casale from Devo. Yeah, I forgot his first name, and I'm feeling far too lazy to look it up, at this moment. Maybe if I ramble on long enough, it will come to me. Greg... no, Bob... no, Jimbo... no... hmmm...maybe it was Bob. That seems right. I'm feeling good about that. I know it wasn't Dave, or Everett. Yeah, Bob. That's it. Pretty sure. Pretty, pretty sure.

Martini Ranch... CHECK IT OUT!

----------------
Now playing: Girlyman - On The Air
via FoxyTunes

Comments