Favorite Albums of My Life: 1970

5. THE MOODY BLUES: "QUESTION OF BALANCE"/"TO OUR CHILDREN'S CHILDREN'S CHILDREN"




Another couple of albums culled from the "Core 7" Moody Blues albums, these both deserve a spot at number five. I understand that it is a cop out for me NOT to pick one over the other (although if I need to pick one, it'll be "A QUESTION OF BALANCE". These albums were both released within a few months of each other, and both feature the immaculate production associated with the early Moody Blues catalog.



4. LED ZEPPELIN: III

It still, to this day, amazes me how quickly this band pumped out their quintessential, early catalog. Although, in it's entirety, I don't enjoy it as much as the first and second (and fourth album, for that matter) records, it does include some of my favorite Zeppelin albums.





3. CROSBY, STILLS, NASH & YOUNG: "DEJA VU"


Not only does this album define the sound of CSN, but it also includes Y. It includes some of the finest and most thought out of the Vietnam era. It is one of those rare records where you are not bored from start to finish.





2.5 BLACK SABBATH: "PARANOID"



I don't know how I passed this one by, but I neglected to add Paranoid. I love the early Black Sabbath catalog, and this is one of the finest. I guess I was under the impression that it actually came out a few years later, Shows you what I know....






2. SIMON & GARFUNKEL: "BRIDGE OVER TROUBLED WATER"


Talk to me any time leading up to the last couple months, and I probably would have cited this album as my favorite record of 1970, but tastes change... and one finally listens to the number one album, in it's entirety... but that's another story. This one is about the swan song of this legendary 60's Folk duo. Having been released right about the time the duo decided to split, this album features two of my favorite S&G tracks.... the title cut, "Bridge Over Troubled Water" and "The Boxer".




1. SANTANA: "ABRAXAS"


At the risk of creating problems with the image of a buxom (and very naked) African woman on my blog, I need to put "ABRAXAS" on here, as my favorite album. I can't get enough of this album, for several reasons. First, there is the obvious reason... Carlos Devadip Santana's blistering guitar solos. Second, are the tasty organ stylings of Gregg Rolie. He is a mad genius, when it comes to playing the organ. Third... well... where else can you get such an aggressive percussion section? Huh? TELL ME!!



Honorable mentions:

THE BEATLES: LET IT BE In my opinion, this album was evidence of the band coming to an end. It just seemed to be... disjointed, in my opinion. However, it does include the title track, and for that ALONE, it deserves to be listed.

NITTY GRITTY DIRT BAND: "UNCLE CHARLIE AND HIS DOG TEDDY"
Not only did this album feature the classic, MR BOJANGLES, but it includes some great crossover Americana music. However, the true clincher for nearly putting it on the top 5 list, is the great little snippit of Uncle Charlie talking about his beloved dog, Teddy. I challenge you to find another hound that can moan the refrains of "The Old Rugged Cross" like Teddy does.

THE GRATEFUL DEAD: "AMERICAN BEAUTY" and "WORKING MAN'S DEAD"
A band that I would have mocked at 10 years ago, I have since grown to appreciate their marriage of American Rock and classic Americana music. I love the incorporation of traditional acoustic instruments in their free-form style of music.

Comments