Favorite Albums of My Life: 1971

10. THE DOORS: "L.A. WOMAN"


Some may be surprised to see The Doors all the way at number 10. Truth be told, it hasn't been until very recently that I have gotten into this album. I had just never owned it, and had never heard it. It does, however, deserve a spot on the list...





9. DAVID BOWIE: "HUNKY DORY"



At number nine, we have another album that I hadn't been too familiar with. I have known a couple songs for many years, but recently picked up the full length album. I know there are probably many critics out there who are shocked and appalled to see this album come behind number 8, but... this is MY list, and if you don't like it, well... make your own... and then send me a link to yours, so I can belittle YOUR guilty pleasures. ;-)



8. BREAD: "MANNA"


It is no secret that I love Bread. I grew up with Bread, and listened to them more any other artists, as a young child. You can blame my father. Anyhow, this album featured many of their timeless classics, and it definitely deserves a spot on my list.




7. JONI MITCHELL: "BLUE"


Again, I set myself up for persecution. There are probably quite a few of you who think that this should be further up the list... and perhaps it should. However, because I have taken into account the frequency of which I would listen to the album, I must put it behind Black Sabbath. Truth be told, I'm definitely more of a rocker, these days. In my opinion, Joni will always be considered one of the finest songwriters of the time... but, sometimes you just gotta crank it up to 11 and let go.




6. BLACK SABBATH: "MASTER OF REALITY"



I pretty much summed this album up in my last paragraph. If you didn't get it, go back and read it. And shame on you for skimming over it.






5. ELTON JOHN: "MADMAN ACROSS THE WATER"


I can sum this album up in one word: LEVON. 'Nuff said.





4. MARVIN GAYE: WHAT'S GOIN' ON?


This album has everything I could ever ask for..... it has an incredibly powerful socio-political message. It has style. It has finesse. It has rhythm. It has Blues. It has the silky voice of Marvin Gaye.



3. PINK FLOYD: "MEDDLE"


From the opening line, "One of these days, I'm going to cut you into little pieces", this album mesmerizes. It is classic early Floyd, and definitely deserving of it's place in the top 3.



2. CAT STEVENS: "TEASER AND THE FIRECAT"


Another record that I was weened on. I recall my early years, digging through the cardboard box of LP records that my parents had stuffed away in the closet. I don't know if it was the kid friendly cover art, but I was always drawn to this album. It contains several of my favorite songs of the early 1970's, especially the classic, "Morning Has Broken", which features the very capable keyboard skills of YES's Rick Wakeman. Apparently YES was working on an album down the hall, when Cat's producer solicited his help. In a matter of a couple hours, Rick had worked out the amazing piano found on this song. And "The Wind"... have I mentioned "The Wind"? Shwing...



1. LED ZEPPELIN: "IV"


From the moment your needle settles in the grooves of Led Zeppelin IV, until the same needle lifts at the end of side 2, this album will take you through a collage of feelings. It will rock you, it will make you ponder, and it will enchant you. The only reason why some religious people could consider it "Satanic"... it's ability to enchant. And if all that isn't enough reason for this album to sit at number 1, well... there's always "Stairway To Heaven".

Comments