TOP 10 ALBUMS of 1973


First, let me preface this list by saying that I KNOW there are several albums that are deserving of their place on this list... artists like Jethro Tull, The Who, Elton John (among others), but I did need to keep this list to albums that I am familiar with. Don't hate me for that.



10) GOLDEN EARRING: "MOONTAN" (US Version)




Firstly, for those of you who are criticizing my choice to put the US album artwork on here, I'm just trying to keep it family friendly. If you want to see the burlesque woman, feel free to go to Amazon.com and see the UK artwork. Secondly, after listening to the two different versions back to back (both versions contain songs not available on the other version), I came to the conclusion that I prefer the US version. Why? "BIG TREE, BLUE SEA". Yeah... I totally dig that song.





9) YES: "TALES FROM TOPOGRAPHIC OCEAN"


An album that would probably rank higher, if I were more familiar with it (another album to recently work it's way on to my iPod), TALES OF TOPOGRAPHIC OCEAN is one of the most genuine example of true "Progressive Rock", done YES style. The songs are long, they are atmospheric, and yes... I mean, YES... they ARE progressive.



8) ELTON JOHN: "DON'T SHOOT ME (I'M ONLY THE PIANO PLAYER)


Man, am I embarrassed. Somehow I had gotten my wires crossed, and had listed this album on my 1972 TOP 10 list. Was I shocked when I found out that it was actually released in 1973... so... that one on the 1972 chart? Pretend like it isn't there. Did I say "DANIEL"? Oh, yes... for those of you who are shaking your heads, asking where "GOODBYE YELLOW BRICK ROAD" is... well... it's one of the early Elton albums that I have never owned. I know, I know... feel free to post your hate mail in the comment section.... just don't throw eggs at my house.




7) PAUL SIMON: "THERE GOES RHYMIN' SIMON"

Paul Simon. What can I say bad about this guy? Nothing... except I think he should have tried shaving his head, instead of always wearing a ball cap. But that's it... that's all the bad I can say about him. Simon & Garfunkel were one of my favorite acts of the 60's. Paul continued on in style, writing several timeless songs that will always be part of who I am. Thanks, Paul.





6) DAVID BOWIE: "ALADDIN SANE"


Another album to recently make its way into my collection, Aladdin Sane is classic Bowie. It features a great cover of The Stones' "Let's Spend the Night Together", in addition to some of the finest early work from the Thin White Duke.



5) BLACK SABBATH: "SABBATH BLOODY SABBATH"


Number 10 on the list is the classic Black Sabbath album, "SABBATH BLOODY SABBATH", the fifth offering from Ozzy & Co. I can't say a bad thing about the early to mid 70's career of this band, and this album is no exception.





4) LED ZEPPELIN: "HOUSES OF THE HOLY"



Although, in my humble opinion, not as strong as the 4 predecessors, this album still holds up and is definitely a driving force in the Led Zeppelin catalog. It contains some classics, including "D'yer Maker" and "Over the Hills..."





3) MIKE OLDFIELD: "TUBULAR BELLS"


I first heard this album when I was in high school. Yeah, we had all heard the opening refrains before... you know, the part that was featured as the theme to "The Exorcist"... but I had no idea how much depth this album had. For those of you who are not familiar with it, it is one song (broken into two parts, to fit properly on an LP record), featuring a plethora of instruments, ALL played by the incredibly talented Mike Oldfield. If I recall correctly, he played 32 different instruments. That alone makes him worthy of the number 3 spot.



2) DAVID GATES: "FIRST"



Okay... as stated earlier, you can all send your negative feedback and hate mail to the comment box. Why, you ask, is David Gates at the number two spot?!? As the album would indicate, this is Mr. Gates' first solo project, while taking a hiatus from the increasingly strained band, BREAD. This album features some of the memorable songs of my childhood. I can't count how many camping trips were accompanied by 8 tracks of David Gates and/or Bread. This album features the song "CLOUDS: SUITE", which is actually a 2-part, 9 minute beauty. Or is it longer? I can't recall... but I CAN tell you how beautiful this song is. Lyrically thought provoking, and musically engaging, it will remain one of my favorite songs of all time.





1) PINK FLOYD: "DARK SIDE OF THE MOON"


Yeah... no surprise. We can all go home. We all knew that Pink Floyd's masterpiece, THE DARK SIDE OF THE MOON would make the top of the list. But, let me tell you WHY. This may surprise you. Not only do I consider this to contain some of the finest songwriting of the 70's, but it also contains some of my favorite engineering and production of the same decade. Of ANY decade, for that matter. I attribute the beauty and perfection of this album to both band AND engineer... the one and only ALAN PARSONS, who was a resident engineer at Abbey Road Studios (having worked with The Beatles, among others). Mr. Parsons was paid regular union wages for his work, but that aside, constructed one of the most hypnotic pieces of work ever recorded. Thank you Roger, David, Nick, Richard AND Alan.

Comments