Holiday Music Continued: Another thought

Wow. So, I spend another day listening to Holiday music whilst delivering my mail route. Some contemporary, yet not too mainstream music. Moya Brennan was one that had her turn. For those of you not familiar with Moya, she is the older sister of Enya. Originally the lead vocalist for Celtic turned Celtic/Pop group, CLANNAD, Maire' (Moya) has a similar voice to Enya, although a little huskier. Although (in my opinion) 10 times more diverse in catalog than little sister Enya, it seems to me that she is actually trying to catch the same commercial success of her more famous sibling. Anyhow, this is NOT why I came to vent, today. The reason why I'm here? The OTHER Christmas albums I listened to, today...

MANNHEIM STEAMROLLER!

More specifically, MANNHEIM STEAMROLLER CHRISTMAS and A FRESH AIRE CHRISTMAS. These two Christmas albums were released in 1984 and 1988, respectively, and are thoroughly enjoyable listens. Some of the most beautiful Christmas music can be found on these two albums. Their rendition of Greensleeves is one of the most beautiful I have ever heard. Their version of Silent Night is about enough to bring tears to the eyes. Or in my case, a good dose of chills down the spine. Good chills, not to be mentioned with those pesky BAD chills that go UP the spine. BUT, when did this New Age/Pop (yes, they have crossed over into those Pop waters some time ago) feel it necessary to record SO MANY CHRISTMAS ALBUMS??? Are all of these songs (still being releases as of 2007) even actual Christmas songs? And do we need to have this endless stream of upbeat synthesizer riddled versions? Honestly, it's enough to make me want to pull my hair out. Except I am bald. Totally bald. Since I shave it. Well, I guess if we consider my shoulder and back hair, I have more than enough to pull out. So, if you ever see me shirtless, and I have a severely red back and/or shoulders, possibly bloodied, know that I have ventured into those fourth and fifth and sixth and seventh Christmas discs from this band. I am almost embarrassed to say that I own four of them. But know that two of the four were purchased for only two dollars a piece. Not so embarrassing now! For those local to Utah, you also know Kurt Bestor. It's the same story. Artist releases regular New Age CDs, has marginal success, releases Christmas CD, has great success, artists thinks to himself, "wow, look at this cash cow I have come across", and artist continues releasing Christmas music with the occasional regular CD mixed in for good measure. It gets old. I would be a hypocrite if I complained about 3 holiday discs from an artist, since I have those three Wind Machine Christmas discs, and I ENJOY all three Christmas discs.

To wrap up this rant, and it is, indeed, a rant, let me say this. All you artists who feel a need to fill the airwaves (or just subsidize your income with holiday music), AT LEAST have the common decency to release a ratio of 1:3 of holiday music/standard music. Can that be done? The aforementioned Mannheim Steamroller, who released a MOSTLY incredible "FRESH AIRE" series, is sitting at a ratio of roughly 1:1. That's breaking the rules, boys. And girls. There are girls involved, now. I don't want to be sexist. Or does the very action of bringing this up make me sexist? Maybe that's fodder for another post down the road...

Comments