My Favorite Discoveries of 2007

Alright, folks. It's time for me to sit down and figure out my lists for 2007. Now, since most of my favorite discs of 2007 were NOT released in 2007, I will compile a list of my favorite "discoveries". How does that sound? Some of the artists may have been mentioned in this blog, but you can deal with that, can't you?

FAVORITE DISCOVERIES OF 2007 (in no particular order)...

THE AVETT BROTHERS:
So, who are the Avett Brothers, you ask? Let me introduce them to you... Scott and Seth, meet everyone. Everyone, meet Scott and Seth. So, these two brothers from North Carolina are one of the freshest things to hit the music scene in...well, EVER! With one brother on guitar and bass drum, the other on Banjo and hi-hat (I think I have that correct, although the percussive instruments may be paired with the other string instrument), and a non-relative on stand-up bass (or shall we say, bass fiddle?), these guys are completely insane. Now, I need to be honest. I was comped a pair of tickets to see them in concert, and did not know what to expect. It was, in all honesty, one of the greatest shows I have ever seen. Pure energy, original music (mainly a hybrid of Bluegrass and acoustic Punk), and a great stage presence are what make these guys a band to see. I also need to be honest about another thing. I have NOT purchased a studio album of these guys. After their live show, I was out looking for a live album. I will get a studio album, and let you know what I think of it...

MUSE...
So, "STARLIGHT" hits the airwaves, and I immediately fall in love with that song. My introduction to MUSE goes back a couple of years, to the album ABSOLUTION. I enjoyed the "progressive" nature of the album, and especially loved the song "HYSTERIA". Wow. That is another great example of pure energy. Anyhow, I consider these guys one of my favorite discoveries of 2007 BECAUSE I saw them live. I realize that their latest release is nearly 1 1/2 years old, and the particular show I saw was their second visit in support of BLACK HOLES AND REVELATIONS, but I was blown away. I have seen hundreds of bands live, and these guys are possibly the best that I have seen. Both musically speaking, as well as a light show that is the best I have ever seen, make this one the most moving musical experiences of the last year.

EMMY ROSSUM...
So I am checking discs out of the library (or as my friend would call it, "the poor man's Blockbuster") and I get a disc by Emmy Rossum. I have no idea who she is, but I am a sucker for female singer/songwriters who have a beautiful voice. Visibly, she looked well, so I thought I would investigate a little further. The music was a cross between IMOGEN HEAP and LAUREN CHRISTY. At least the Lauren Christy from her debut CD. It was wonderful. Not necessarily an album to blow you away, at least from a technical standpoint, but one of the most pleasant listens that I have heard in quite some time. When I need to be blown away, I can listen to something progressive. When I want to be swept into a relaxing state of mind, I listen to people like Emmy Rossum. I should point out that she is probably best known as the female lead in "THE PHANTOM OF THE OPERA" motion picture from a few years back. Specifically the character of Christine. I did not know that when I checked out the CD, but learned that upon visiting her website. Do yourself a favor... visit that website. Tell me what you think!

and lastly...

ANBERLIN...
Now, my hands are getting tired, and the computer is dragging, so I am going to wrap up my favorite 2007 discoveries with the band ANBERLIN. Now, as a music enthusiast, who also wants to share that love with his three teen aged daughters, I often seek out bands that we all can enjoy. I am a big fan of some of the "Emo" bands of the past few years, including 30 SECONDS TO MARS, LOSTPROPHETS, among others. Wow, go figure that spell check won't recognize "lostprophets". Anyhow, I was at Wal-Mart... I know, I felt dirty just being there... and I found this Anberlin CD, and thought I would listen to it on the listening station. CITIES is the name of the disc, and I was blown away from the get go. Musically, a very talented band. Lyrically engaging. Harmonies, melodies, energy. Everything I like in a Pop song. If you haven't heard it, then listen to it. "THE UNWINDING CABLE CAR" is one of the best songs I have heard in the past year. Beautiful, I say.... BEAUTIFUL!

I am going to go before I get carpal tunnel.

----------------
Now playing: Harry Nilsson - 1941
via FoxyTunes

Comments