My Favorite LIVE PERFORMANCES of All Time...

via FoxyTunes ----------------
Now playing: GTR - When The Heart Rules The Mind
via FoxyTunes So, I was delivering my mail, being a bad mailman, listening to my iPod. Okay, before I go on, I need to let you all know that your mailman... er... Letter Carrier, is NOT supposed to be listening to his/her headphones while delivering. So, IF your carrier is, please don't let his/her supervisor know. A happy carrier is a good carrier. Anyhow, that is NOT the reason why I am posting. The reason why I am here is to list my FIVE FAVORITE LIVE PERFORMANCES OF ALL TIME, which was brought on by listening to some classic REO Speedwagon. Yeah, even REO is going to be on the list.

Let's see if I can do this in order, from five to one.

5. JUDAS PRIEST: VICTIM OF CHANGES from "Unleashed In The East".

This is classic Priest, recorded even before their breakthrough in the US. Even though the album "Unleashed In The East" was reportedly more studio magic than live magic, it features some incredible music.

4. REO SPEEDWAGON: 157 RIVERSIDE AVENUE from "A Decade of Rock and Roll 1970-1980.

Now, before you all go criticizing, listen to it. Before the radio friendly power ballads of the 80's, these guys knew how to rock. I guess if you asked the band members, they'd say that they still rock, but given the absence of Gary Richrath, the original guitarist, I can't imagine them rocking as much as they did on 157. After all, "nobody talks with their guitar the way Gary does...". Just ask Kevin Cronin.

3. PETER FRAMPTON: DO YOU FEEL LIKE WE DO?

There is a reason that this album is still (I think) ranked as the best selling live album of all time. It's because of THIS song. Yeah, there were a few other hits. But this song, in all it's 13 minute glory is what live music is all about. Solos, grooves, and Peter talking through the tube inserted into his mouth, creating vocal shapes that were piped through the guitar. Wow. But actually, the part that really moves me, is the last 2 minutes of the song. His guitar work is so intense and precise, that it brings chills every time. And speaking of chills...

2. PINK FLOYD: COMFORTABLY NUMB

I should specify that this is the "PULSE" version of this song. And it truly shines in all it's glory when you SEE the song, as well as hear it. Yes, the album version is fantastic, but couple it with the video footage shot at Earl's Court in London, and you will see why this is my second favorite live track of all time. The thing that really moves me about the work of Pink Floyd, is the guitar work of David Gilmour. David Gilmour is not the fastest guitarist in the world, but he is one of the most passionate. His guitar solo in this version of "Comfortably Numb" bleeds with emotion. Nothing used to irritate me more, than when I would listen to Rock 103 (a Salt Lake area radio station) years ago, and Jumpin' Jon Carter would begin talking during the guitar solo. I have never totally forgiven him for that. Even though Jesus has told me to. One of these days... (no pun intended).

And now... NUMBER 1

1. PAT METHENY GROUP: FIRST CIRCLE

For those of you that want to see why I have selected this as my number one favorite live track, you need to hunt down a copy of "MORE TRAVELS" on VHS, and possibly DVD. Or, if you are like me, a $100.00 Japanese Laser Disc ("There is no way that the new DVD technology can be better than laser discs!) that I own. Yeah. We actually used to say that, while renting laser discs at Inkley's. Anyhow, the truly ironic part of me selecting this song, is that it is the only Pat Metheny Group song that I know of, where Pat isn't showing off his incredible talent of playing lead guitar. He plays a little nylon string guitar, and then gets busy on rhythm guitar while his band members shine. Between the vocals of Pedro Aznar and the piano playing of Lyle Mays, this song completely blows me away. Do yourself a favor, and check it out. It brings me chills and accompanying goose bumps EVERY TIME.

There you have it. Give these songs a listen. They will truly treat you. Oh, I should add another song, that would maybe be number six. It would rank higher, IF it were more consistent, but I do credit the band U2 for continually reworking and reinventing their song, "BULLET THE BLUE SKY". A political song that originally appeared on the classic album "The Joshua Tree", this song has become a concert staple ever since. The finest versions appear on 'Rattle and Hum', complete with Bono and his spot light, and my personal favorite, from the Zoo TV tour. The Edge's guitar work moves me immensely, as well as the passion of the song. It may even be number 5. I need to hunt down my Judas Priest and listen to it again. I'll let you know...


Comments