POST #46: ASIA, rising from the ashes...



----------------
Now playing:
Muse - Invincible
via FoxyTunes
I guess I have a couple of reasons to be posting about Asia. Not the continent, folks... the GROUP! A band that could be considered one of the first "Supergroups", formed in 1981 by John Wetton (from King Crimson and UK), Steve Howe (YES), Geoff Downes (YES and The Buggles) and Carl Palmer (the Palmer in Emerson, Lake and Palmer). Now, some of you may be getting sick and tired of me going on and on about some of these great musicians, as most of them have been mentioned in previous posts, but I just need to talk about THIS collective.

A couple days ago, I found a used copy of "FANTASIA: Live In Tokyo" on DVD. At first, I thought it was the American Idol alumni, but the fact that the logo was obviously the work of artist Roger Dean just didn't connect. It wasn't until I pulled the case completely out of the slot that I saw the names of the aforementioned artists. The quartet of extremely talented guys listed up above. And then I knew it was something special. Especially when I turned the box over to see the four aging gentlemen, in all their glory. Some aging better than others...um...Steve. He being the "others" mentioned in the previous sentence. Anyhow, I had to pick it up. It was cheap AND it was loaded with great music, including songs from the members' individual careers. It is evidence of how talented these guys have always been. Now I just need to pick up the two disc CD set of the concert. But, in the meantime...

PHOENIX, the all new Asia CD, the first to feature the original four members in 25 years, will be released April, 15th. You can find a website for the band (originalasia.com, if I am not mistaken) which has some mp3 sound clips. It sounds great, and I think you will agree.

Now, I apologize for the Progcentric posts over the last few weeks. I will try and stray from Progressive music, and go somewhere completely different, on the next post. So, in the meantime, happy listening!

Comments

April said…
It took me a second to figure out what Progcentric even meant! I'm glad you are broadening my horizons with these bizarre named artists...but I haven't had the time to check them out...I know..such a bad musician of me...if its not on x96 or top 40 type stations...I'm clueless!!!
Sean Dahl said…
Trust me, April, spell checker didn't like "progcentric". Which really didn't surprise me, since I made the word up. I love to make all kinds of things "centric" in one way or another. Oh, and btw... I'm glad that we are opening your eyes, ears and mind to some new tunes. Oh, and P.S., get the Muse CD/DVD, if you haven't. It's super swell...
April said…
Oh I will have to...just going to their myspace and watching just one of the video's from that concert....WOWZER!! Oh and p.s...you should make it so when you click on a comment, it brings up an additional window instead of taking you away from your blog....:)