HOT ROCKIN': My Return to The Priest...



I don't know what it is, but every eight years (give or take), I go through a Judas Priest phase. And let me tell you... or rather, let my lovely wife tell you, right now I am FULL SWING PRIEST! And she (my lovely wife) does NOT appreciate it. I don't know what brought it on, except for maybe my insatiable desire to hear "Judas Priest: Unleashed In The East". I had a copy of it, but had misplaced it, and had been looking all over for it. Just a week ago, I had stumbled in to Graywhale CD, our local Salt Lake independent music chain (wait, is that an oxymoron?), and Judas Priest was the featured artist. They had an entire array of their discs, all factory sealed, yet marked as "used". The price to pick up most of the early albums was $7.99. Not a bad deal for a new disc. Anyhow, before my wife reads this, and panics, I did NOT buy all their albums. When I had been working at Tom Tom Music, another independent music store, I had collected all the remastered and reissued discs. Mainly, because the spine artwork all lined up to make a pretty looking picture, along with the name J-U-D-A-S-P-R-I-E-S-T. Bob-bitchin', as far as CD artwork ideas are concerned.

Anyhow, I was able to secure a copy of "Unleashed In The East", a live recording from before their 1980's heyday. It is, to this day, my favorite live album of all time. Powerful stuff, even though it is more studio magic than live magic. The arrangements are far superior to the earlier studio recordings. Judas Priest is a band that started in the early 70's, and are one of the bands responsible for beginning the late 70's Heavy Metal movement. There wouldn't have been any of those (most horrific) 80's Ass Rock bands, if it weren't for the early works of Judas Priest, and their fellow British peers, Motorhead.

To make a long story short, I picked up "Unleashed...", and eventually got the "Metal Works: '73-'93" compilation. Two discs of solid Priest. Now, the only thing that I may eventually get, is "PAINKILLER", The Priest's foray into Speed Metal. Powerful stuff.
I feel REALLY cool, as I cruise down the highway, 150cc of Scooter Metal (or fiber glass) between my legs, listening to The Priest on my iPod. Maybe one of these days, I'll be a little Rob Halford (except for his attraction to men), complete with bald head, goatee, and Detroit Thunder between my legs. For now, I'll be scootin'... and currently I am getting 118 miles per gallon, with that scooter), pretending like I'm riding a Harley. Yeah, as Spinal Tapcentric they are, these days, The Priest still ROCK!

Comments