THE BLACK KEYS: Twilight Concert #2

I'm going to be honest... I am still a fledgling when it comes to Indie Rock. I grew up during the 70's and 80's, when music was all about production values. Since the Grunge movement of the early 90's, music has taken a different turn. While slick production still reigns supreme in the world of Top 40 radio, much of today's "Alternative" Rock has a more D.I.Y. (ummm....that means "Do It Yourself", if'n you didn't know) feel, with some artists recording their albums in a basement, in a space of days... if not hours. Such is the case with the band that I am highlighting, today... THE BLACK KEYS. They will be headlining Salt Lake City's TWILIGHT CONCERT on July 16th. Is it the 16th? I hope so...

I just began reading up on this band, and saw that they hail from Akron, Ohio. Say, isn't that Devo's hometown? Me thinks so. And, in addition to that, their album THICKFREAKNESS was recorded in 14 hours, in band member Patrick Carney's basement. So, where the album will not compare in production value to...say... a Steely Dan album... you gotta give them credit for whipping a full album out in less than a day. Oh, and did I mention that this is the band for all you folks who are big of The White Stripes? This almost is The White Stripes... less a chick drummer.

Featured here is the video for "YOUR TOUCH". Enjoy it... and we'll see you
downtown, at the Gallivan Center.


Comments