ROCKTOBER: Day 11 - EDWARD SHARPE & THE MAGNETIC ZEROS


When the 2011 Twilight Concert Series was announced in Salt Lake City, there were a few bands that I wasn't quite familiar with.  Edward Sharpe & the Magnetic Zeros was one of these bands.  Two of my dear friends, Mary and her son, Max, were more excited to see Edward Sharpe & the Magnetic Zeros than nearly any other band... and this series included a stellar line-up, with the likes of The Decemberists, Bright Eyes, Explosions in the Sky and more.

At first, I had a difficult time tracking down some music from the band, and I eventually caved and purchased the album on Amazon.com.  The real irony was that the entire time, I had the solo album by Alexander, leader of E.S.&t.M.Z, sitting on my filing cabinet at home.  For those of you unfamiliar with the band... or dare I say, "collective"... Edward Sharpe is NOT a "him".  It's a them.  A rather large group of eccentric, hippie-type individuals.  Alexander Ebert is the leader of the vocalist-  he, himself, coming from the power Pop group, IMA-ROBOT.  

This shirt was purchased at the concert (which was free of charge), and worth every penny.  I mean, look at that graphic.  Are these not the sweetest bunch of hippies you've ever seen?  Huh??

I need to also point out that this picture was taken shortly after returning home from work.  The day after Columbus Day is notoriously the heaviest mail day of the year... at least, in MY experience.  Today was no exception.  If I were a betting man, I would say that my mail was heavier today than any other day I've carried mail... and it shows in the picture.



So, without further adieu, I am going to fire up the video for the song, "Home", taken from the album "Up From Below",  by Edward Sharpe & the Magnetic Zeros.  Since the actual music video is disabled from embedding, I am including these two performances of the song:  one from KCRW's "Morning Becomes Eclectic" and the other from NPR's "Tiny Desk Concert" series.  Both are fantabulous.





NPR - "Tiny Desk Concert Series"







KCRW- "Morning Becomes Eclectic"




Comments