DIAMOND CUTTERS: Volume 2

6.  CHRIS REA - "On the Beach"

I discovered this song several years after it's release.  I don't know how or why we ended up with the CD single (a European release) in the small CD store in which I worked, but we did.  I remember playing that song and immediately being smitten by it's catchy hooks.  In my opinion, it's a shame how Chris Rea has all but escaped success in the United States.  He did have a hit way back when....Fool (If You Think It's Over)... and succeeded in having a fairly loyal following, but he never seemed to achieve the mainstream success of peers like Dire Straits.




7.  DIRE STRAITS - "On Every Street"

Hey, did someone mention Dire Straits?  This, the title track of their last album, is my favorite Dire Straits song, bar none.  I know most real Dire Straits enthusiasts would probably disagree with me, but I always found something deeply stirring about the feel of this track.  The soprano saxophone brings tears to my eyes... the way the song ebbs and flows always seems to connect...the moody guitar work that pierces the soul.... and then, when the song finally kicks in, it still manages to contain such beautiful elements, while seemingly more frenzied than the first 3/4 of the song.

As the song never featured an actual video, to the best of my knowledge, I have included this YouTube version.





8.  YES - "I Am Waiting"

I am still fairly uncertain as to how this song ended up making it on to this list of hallowed songs.  In 1994, when the album TALK was originally released, I found myself drawn to the album as a whole.  It was the first time that the (as I deemed them) "90125 crew" had performed all together since 1987's "BIG GENERATOR".  The difference being that this album was produced by guitarist, Trevor Rabin.  Trevor's career with Yes was one of polarized opinions.  While I deeply respect and love the guitar stylings of Steve Howe, I always found myself drawn into the guitar work of Trevor Rabin, on a more emotional level.  They are two distinctly different guitarists, they are both masters at their craft... but Trevor does it for me.  

The original "single" from the album was "Walls", and it was, for the longest time, my favorite cut on the album.  Then, many years later, I found myself listening to this album with the right earbud headphones.  When the bass line kicks in at the beginning of the song, my brain rumbled.  I was so moved by the overall atmosphere of the rumbling bass with the piercing guitar playing of Trevor.  I found myself listening to it over and over... and, to this day, am stirred with each and every listen.

Another homemade video, but I wanted you to hear the original studio version.  Mmmmmm...


And the live version...





9.  TRANSLATOR - "Un-alone"

This song, which hearkens back to the early 80's, was, for the longest time, my favorite song.  End of story.  That has changed, as I've grown older, and as my tastes have broadened, but it doesn't change the fact that this song still rocks... and still deserves to be a bigger hit than it actually was.  I still remember my first exposure to the song.  It would occasionally air on the fledgling MTV, but never caught on as a real hit.  Whenever I would see Translator appear on the multitude of 80's compilations that plagued record stores, back in the 90's, they would always include the song, "Everywhere That I'm Not".  Now I can't speak for all Translator fans, but that song is one of my LEAST favorite.  Whether it's the angst ridden message of love and love lost, or the simple catchy hook, I love this song...





10.  MUSE - "Map of the Problematique"

Several years ago, I was introduced to British group, MUSE.  After hearing the song, "Hysteria" (which, by all rights, should be on this collection), I considered myself a fan.  Fast forward a couple years, when I had the opportunity to see them live, I was rabid.  This song, which hails from the "Black Holes and Revelations" album, is one that, out of the blue, knocked me flat on my arse.  It has such an intense building of energy that I would almost liken it to aural sex.  AURAL, people.

Comments