Here's One That Got Away: DELAY TREES




I have been doing a lot of pondering about the albums I have recently discovered... albums that I would consider some of my favorite records of recent years.  I have wondered if I should go back to my Top 20 lists of the last few years and incorporate them into the list (i.e. #9.5, #2.5, etc.), but decided that this wouldn't be fair to the other artists on the list.  Just imagine how YOU would feel IF you were number 20... theoretically being bumped off the list.  I know if it were ME, I'd curl up in the fetal position and cry like a baby.  That said, I'm not going to do that.

What I have decided to do is begin a feature called, "Here's One That Got Away", in which I will highlight a recent discovery of an album that has since altered my life in a very positive way.  First up, I want to highlight an album that I discovered this year.  A friend of mine had actually given me a homemade copy of the album, complete with two tracks by another band and album soon to be highlighted, WASHED OUT.  Because it wasn't something that I could simply add to my iTunes library with any sort of ease, I simply chose to ignore it...... until September of this year.

This past September ushered in what I would consider to be one of the most turbulent times in my life, from an emotional perspective.  It was wrought with all sorts of emotionsIf one were to look at my entire life, they would see a correlation between the emotional points of my life and music.  This was no exception.  I found the CD that my friend had made and decided it was time to give it a day in court.  The disc was the debut full length album by Finnish (meaning they are from Finland, yo) band, DELAY TREES.  This self-titled album followed on the heels of two previously released EPs.  What I heard transfixed me.  That CD remained in my car CD changer for weeks.  It's melancholy feel deeply connected with the array of emotions that I was experiencing.  It soothed the sadness... accented the happiness...and filled me with an overall sense of peace.

The following is the video for the song "ABOUT BROTHERS", taken from their eponymous debut.  I hope you enjoy it...

 

The following is the original version of "CASSETTE 2012".




For the record, this album would probably have nestled its way into my top 3 albums of 2011. 

Comments