Here's One That Got Away: THE MILK CARTON KIDS

Joey Ryan and Kenneth Pattengale (a.k.a. The Milk Carton Kids) have been putting out their own material for a few years now.  They are so "D.I.Y" that you can actually go to their website and download their two albums (one released under their actual names, one under "The Milk Carton Kids) for free.  They are giving them away.  I saw them open up for The Punch Brothers and they were all but persuading people to download the free albums, rather than supporting them by purchasing hard copies back at the merchandise table.

The good news is that they will soon release a new album, "THE ASH & CLAY" on March 26th of this year.  The band is freshly signed to ANTI Records, which just so happens to be my second favorite Indie label (behind the hallowed Sub Pop Records).

Both albums came out in 2011, yet they didn't cross my radar until 2011....wait.... what?  The reality is that I SHOULD have included them on my Top 20 of 2011?!?  I'm such a dork.

Please to enjoy this 15 minute NPR Tiny Desk Concert performance of The Milk Carton Kids.  

 

Comments