Here's One That Got Away: POOR MOON

I consider myself to be somewhat in tune with the world of music.  The reality is that I'm not.  I wander through the aisles of my favorite local record store and am amazed at the amount of unrecognizable music that I see.  Such was the case a week and a half ago, when I was browsing through the bins of records at the Ogden (Utah) Graywhale store.  I happened across an LP that had a handwritten sticker stating that the album contained members of Fleet Foxes and Christmas Cards.  The latter band is one of those that I've never heard of, while the first is one of my favorite bands of all time.

It is no secret how much I love Fleet Foxes, and to think that their was a side project that went undetected by me for over a year and a half?  I have wondered for the past couple years what was going to happen with Fleet Foxes, as the band seemed to be completely splintering apart.  Josh Tillman (the artist formerly known as J.Tillman) reinvented himself as Father John Misty and has taken the Indie world by storm.  During promotion of his latest album, he was very candid about his time in Fleet Foxes and how the "band" was more a project of Robin Pecknold than it was a group effort.  According to Tillman, the angelic harmonies that filled the sophomore Fleet Foxes album, "Helplessness Blues" were more the studio work of Pecknold than the various members of the group. While I felt a little betrayed as a fan of the band, I also felt a deeper sense of amazement at the talents of Robin Pecknold.  There are few musicians... not to mention singer/songwriters... that encapsulate the potential beauty in music.

Poor Moon features two members of Fleet Foxes, Casey Wescott and Christian Wargo, with Wargo being the principle songwriter of this effort.  Josh Tillman even shows up to bang some drums, and even Robin Pecknold appears to lend his angelic harmonies on one of the tracks.  

So, I may be a little late to the party, but at least I showed up.

Sit back and enjoy some Poor Moon.  If nothing else, it's helping bridge the lonely gap in between Fleet Foxes albums...

Comments